We are against hate which targets continually marginalized people, no matter if they are Asian, Asian-American, Pacific Islanders, Black, Indigenous, people of color, and LGBTQ+ identifying. We support movements for reform, protest, and equality. A collection of resources and organizations working toward these efforts, and those which offer support, can be found here.
We will continue to amplify marginalized voices, and welcome all, their ideas, their events, and their words. Our words here are not enough, but we wanted to say we support you and will continue to do so through our actions.
An additional list of support and relief funds can be found here.
For details regarding specific events please contact the organizers or venues. If you are an organizer or venue and would like to reach out to us please feel free to contact us or submit an event using our submission form. We’d love to hear from you!
- This event has passed.
Moon School – A Poetry Workshop
March 14 @ 3:30 pm - 5:00 pm$150
MOON SCHOOL is month-long generative writing workshop for writers at all levels. Each week for four weeks, participants will meet with Dr. Mindy Nettifee and Brian S. Ellis to explore new writing and editing practices and discuss practical revolutionary perspectives on how poetry and performance can both reveal and shape the world. All workshops will be recorded and available to watch again or asynchronously. The first two weeks, while the moon is on the wax, Mindy will focus on rituals of generation, from locating inspiration to tapping altered states of creative flow. The second two weeks, as the moon wanes, Brian will focus on approaches to honing and editing that help crystallize poems into final form, ready to be shared both on the page or performed aloud. Over the arc of the workshop we should see the full cycle of a poem from first spark in the creative dark to full madness and bloom. Take this workshop if you feel an impulse to—that’s future-you calling.
Course Begins: Sunday, March 14th, on the heels of a Pisces new moon
Dates: Sundays March 14, 21, & 28 + April 4
Time: 3:30-5:00 pm PST / 6:30-8:00 pm EST*
THE WORKSHOP INCLUDES:
– Weekly 90-minute live writing workshop with Q&A
– Additional prompts emailed throughout the month
– Somatic practices for safely entering and exiting altered states for creative flow
– Meditations and prompts that enhance receptivity and open seams of writing gold
– Vocal and sonic practice
– Peer engagement and witnessing
– Somatic editing and dangerous writing
– Performance coaching and practice
– The opportunity to join an ongoing workshop
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
– To return to the deep well of experience
– To practice opening up said experience and expanding the amount of room given to the moment
– To make thrilling personal connections and have an epiphany or two about what you’re trying to do in/with your writing
– To tie the poem to the body and raise the level of sensuousness in the imaginal
– To have a pleasant cry
– To write lots of poems that could also be spells