We stand with Black Lives Matter and those protesting for equality and reform. We will continue to amplify marginalized voices, and welcome all, their ideas, their events, and their words. Our words here are not enough, but we wanted to say we support you and will continue to do so through our actions.
For the list of support and relief funds previously posted here see this blog post.
For details regarding specific events please contact the organizers or venues. If you are an organizer or venue and would like to reach out to us please feel free to contact us or submit an event using our submission form. We’d love to hear from you!
- This event has passed.
Submission Deadline: 2021 Bitch Media Fellowships for Writers
June 30 @ 8:00 am - 11:59 pmFree
We’re pleased to announce that the 2021 Bitch Media Fellowships for Writers applications are now open! A series of three-month intensive writing fellowships, the goal is to develop, support, and amplify emerging voices in feminist media. All fellows will work under the guidance of Bitch cofounder Andi Zeisler.
This fellowship was created in order to cultivate and amplify new voices. If you are a writer who has minimal publication experience, we strongly encourage you to apply. If you are passionate about one of the above subject areas but do not have a history of writing or blogging about them, we strongly encourage you to apply. If you are a writer still figuring out what subjects obsess you, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Fellows will work in one of four subject areas during their fellowship period:
During the 3-month fellowship, fellows will:
- Produce a minimum of four online articles for Bitch Media in the topic area of their fellowship. These pieces can take a variety of forms: reported, analytical, advocacy-focused, and even infographic.
- Produce at least one longform article to be published in the quarterly magazine Bitch: A Feminist Response to Pop Culture.
- Participate in regular discussions (by Zoom) with the fellowship director and other members of the Bitch Media staff.
- Receive mentorship and support in creating, shaping, and editing articles and online pieces.
- Receive follow-up support with placing future articles and essays, and make great connections within the feminist-media community.
- Receive a $2,000 stipend for the three-month fellowship.
Application Guidelines (Note that all applications are to be submitted via Submittable):
- Read the FAQ’s. But seriously, please be sure to read the FAQ’s before filling out your application.
- A cover letter of no more than 600 words that describes your interest in the fellowship area of your choice. What are the topics you’re passionate about?
- What are the facets and angles of this subject that you think are underreported and under-discussed elsewhere in the media?
- What unique experiences and perspectives will you bring to the topic?
- A CV (no more than 2 pages) that includes a list of any previous publications, if applicable. (You can still apply to a Bitch Media Writing Fellowship even if you don’t have any clips or prior publications).
- Three (3) relevant writing samples.
- Short answer questions to help Bitch get to know you.